March 13, 2007

You Must be Shipping me!!

Allow me to indulge here. If you're planning to make a move from the United States to somewhere like, for example, Stravaraland, be aware of the fact that this can cause a serious amount of stress.

The stress will be amplified if you want to take a couple of computers, three monitors and an assortment of other equipment. You can check it in as excess baggage for a tidy sum of money or use one of the courier companies for an equally tidy sum of money.

For untidy people such as myself there is no such thing as unacompanied luggage any more and there's no way you can swing by the friendly neighbourhood freight forwarder and have your crap sent.

Oooooh, NO!! One must be a known shipper, or else a 24 inch LCD monitor could easily jump out of its box, half way to its destination and give all the rest of the electronic devices in the hold one up the bum without their consent. Or worse, it could pee on a consignment of buffalo skin bomber jackets headed for God only knows where.

Now, freight would have been greight. Why? The boyz and galz in the industry make up palettes, shrink wrap, secure and tie your stuff down. So the carton your brand new Mac Pro came in can travel safely - actually that one's meant for the second desktop. But that little quandary has been solved by a trusty Pelican case into which it'll fit nicely and go as excess baggage.

Case did you say?? A HA!! You're buggered again. When you add to the 19.2 Kg (the computer) plus a few extra bits and bolts (you know, like maybe a hard drive or three) you've stuffed into the monster (with mutual consent) in addition to a few accessories compounded by the weight of the Pelican case (a 1640, by the way, which I highly recommend) itself... whammo!! you get charged double as the damn thing now weighs over 33Kg. Do you get a discount for the box that's half the weight? NO!! Go get a dufflebag and stuff everything in there and the baggage handlers can assume Christmas has come early and it's time to play.

I need a freight agent who can help me get approximately 160 kilos of crap to Stravaraland for less than a thousand US bananas.

I know, I know it's all about bad karma and serve me right. Oh, yes, and veeery self indulgent.

OK, you can now go back to what you were doing before I flew off the handle.

4 Comments:

Blogger Demetris said...

Have you tried doing it the other way round?
Call a destination agent and ask them of a partner in let's say the US?
It worked for me.
They were called Orbit.

And why are you talkning in kilos? It should have been cubic metres.

13 March, 2007 12:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I moved from the US I went to a UPS store and they arranged with *another shipping company* to have it sent. Although, I mostly had books to send, no electronics. Freight is reliable though and everything arrives in time. Then you will have a problem with the local customs... They wanted to charge me import taxes for my used books! Taking it on board with you is not a good solution.

UPS, FedEx etc charge too much for shipping if you are not a company, but they cooperate with others and they can help. I sent 8 boxes for about 450dlrs (which is not cheap, but cheaper than most). Go in person and ask them though.

13 March, 2007 13:48  
Blogger Noullis said...

@Demetris:
Actually, as a good Stravaralander, I am getting friends to tracjk down a forwarder in Cyprus. Yeah, I am providing them with dimensions so at the end of the day it is a matter of volumetric voodoo

@m:
I'm also working on the "other shipper" option. Their "dude, I've always wanted to go to Cyprus" attitutde did help. They should have taxed you on the books based on the really long words in them!! or had a scale:
Barthes: 20%
Benjamin: 11%
Spengler: 73%
Salinger (J.D.): free

13 March, 2007 22:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Piastov Kirika koumpare Noulln tze eshi kamposous.

18 March, 2007 00:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home